Saturday, July 4

the day of gunshots and fireworks.











this one song has been my baby for a while:
but today i'm gonna post it.
can't wait to get it perfect and record it.
i know some of the tracks have typos because when i type
them, i'm writing and editing them in the notebook.
sorry loves.
but i'm hopin you like the stuff i post on, and hahah well myself.
or else really what's the point, other than for my own satisfaction
which, yes, is enough. i stay motivated. waiting for my life to take flight.
__________________________

HopWake N’ Watch: Drake “Best I Ever Had” + Exclusive Interview
Finally. After months of everyone bumping Drake’s “Best I Ever Had”—sweat pants, hair-tied, chillin’ with no makeup on—the biggest song in the country finally gets a video. A video directed by Complex homie Kanye West, no less. And it couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. This past week, the Toronto native’s smash single rocketed up 24 spots to #3 on the Billboard charts, right as he solidified his much gossiped-about record deal.

Just before premiering the highly anticipated video (whatup, OnSMASH!), Drake stopped by the Complex office to discuss working with Kanye, the truth about his new deal, his handicapped experience at the 2009 BET Awards and his thoughts on World Star Hip Hop’s newfound love of Degrassi…

Interview By Damien Scott

Complex: Everyone’s been waiting on this video. Can you take us through the making of it?

Drake: Yeah. The video is directed by Kanye West. Basically we decided, as opposed to taking ourselves super serious, we just wanted to have some fun with it. Myself, being a young man, a young single man at that, I kind of wanted to be real about the way I function with women at this current point in my life. Which is, I don’t have one woman that I call my girl. There’s different girls in my life that play different roles and I see at different times, but collectively they kind of make up the roster of happiness for me [Laughs].

Complex: Understandable. So what’s the concept?

Drake: The concept of the video is, I’m a coach at a high school and the girls of my life are all on my high school basketball team. Throughout the video you see us prepping for this big championship game, and my team ends up losing. You see the looks on their faces at the end of the video, but the moral of the story, I guess, is win or lose, you can still be the best to somebody. When women see the video and see all the breast and ass, hopefully they don’t take offense. Hopefully they see the real meaning.

Complex: Well, now they’ll know.

Drake: [Laughs.] Now they’ll know.

Complex: Kanye is known as kind of a control freak. How was it working with him on set with him directing?

Drake: Me and Kanye have a great eye to eye. I can’t speak for anybody else, but I would give Kanye the utmost credit for actually being one of the most understanding creative people that I have worked with. I think me and Kanye have mutual respect for each another and I listen to what he has to say regardless, ’cause I trust him. I don’t really fight his suggestions [Laughs.] But he was great. It was a long day and I just thank him for dedicating the time he dedicated. He was great.

Complex: Speaking of basketball, you tore your ACL playing basketball, right?

Drake: Yes sir. It was intense casual, I guess [Laughs]. It was just a regular pick up game and I just took the wrong step.

Complex: Damn, that’s horrible. At the BET Awards this past Sunday, everyone was shocked to see you sitting on a stool. Did you ever think to yourself, Maybe I shouldn’t perform?

Drake: That, actually—to be honest—was a terrible idea that I’ll never do to myself again. [Laughs] But I was being pressed from different areas to perform, and I think what really happened at the BET Awards is with the passing of Mike, the climate really changed, as far as the award show goes. I don’t think it called for us to perform “Every Girl” and “Always Strapped,” and I think it was an award show filled with tributes and music and these genuine heartfelt speeches. And to sort of climax out of a very tongue-in-cheek point, and then people misconstruing Wayne’s daughters and her friends coming out on stage…

Complex: Yeah, it really was an awkward moment.

Drake: Yeah, it was just timed very poorly and it definitely wasn’t planned like that, but with that being said, it is what is. I believe in Wayne and myself and it’s nothing we can’t bounce back from. To anyone who was offended, my personal apologies, it wasn’t intended to offend anybody.

Complex: Watching it at home, the BET Awards seemed to be a mess. Did it seem that way in person?

Drake: Well, I can only speak for my portion of it. I had asked for something very specific for my performance and none of those were met, as far as production value, so…

Complex: That’s BET for you…

Drake: I understood my situation, as far as sitting in one place, and figured there was a way to make it interesting. But when I looked around and noticed that none of that was going on [laughs], I kind of just realized that it was going to be a loss for me. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Complex: How did you feel when you heard Mike passed?

Drake : Shocking. Because Michael is just one of those people that you just kind of expect to always be there—he’s Michael Jackson. He’s like one of those guys you never think about…

Complex: …as a real person?

Drake: Yeah. I just never thought Mike could die. And it’s tragic. I know before this tour, a lot of people never had the opportunity to see Mike perform. It’s unfortunate and I always find it interesting to see when people pass away and people find this new found love for the person

Complex: Yeah, a lot of people were saying if Mike never passed, a lot of the comedians would have still gone on making jokes and what not.

Drake: Yeah, you know it’s just…it’s a very interesting thing when somebody passes away and people sort of…the world loves Michael Jackson, I just think that there are certain people who use it as an opportunity to talk more. With that being said, I always appreciated what Mike did and my condolences go out to Mike’s family.

Complex: For real. Going back to your music, “Best I Ever Had” jumped to #3 on the Billboard charts. And then you announced yesterday that you signed your deal with Universal…

Drake: Nah…I definitely want to clear this up, I didn’t sign to Universal. I’m actually signed to… a lot of people were telling me, “Oh, you should do it independent.” I’m actually 100% independent. I signed to Cortez Bryant and G. Roberson, my managers, so I signed a joint venture between Aspire Music Group, which is them, and Young Money. So the only part that Universal plays is P&D [pressing and distribution]. I’m not a Universal artist. I’m signed to myself.

Complex: What does Young Money bring to the table?

Drake: Since the beginning of this, Lil’ Wayne has always put himself out there on behalf of me, from spitting my verse at the VMAs, to jumping on the songs that I needed him on and always promoting me. Right now it’s more about building up Young Money, as opposed to what Young Money brings to the table at this point. Obviously, what Young Money brings to the table is Lil’ Wayne. He’s a powerhouse and I felt it was only fair to stay loyal. I thought it was only fair for him to get that look and I wanted the YM logo on the album and to make sure that he knows that I don’t take what he did for me for granted.

Complex: You were entertaining other offers from Atlantic and Interscope, right?

Drake: I can definitely say that I wanted to be over at Interscope for a while, but it wouldn’t allow me to work with Wayne the way that I wanted to work with Wayne. I had to make a sacrifice. But with that being said, if we sell some records and people actually see how the record deal breaks down… Somebody told me they saw my deal the other day and they said it was one of the worst record deals in history [for] the label. That’s a good thing for me. I own everything, I have 100% creative control, I own all my masters, everything. I’m blessed to be in that situation. If we sell some records, I think we’ll just add to the historic pace that this has been going at.

Complex: There was a feeling that if you didn’t sign to a major label, that would signal the demise of the record industry.

Drake: I think that it all depends on the success on the project. I can have this conversation with you and tell you the impact I think it may have, especially when the details of the deal get out. But it’s all dependent on what I do. I first have to make the right album that will sell some records. With that being said, I definitely think it could cause a bit of a shift if we find a way to sell a million records.

Complex: What made you want to strive to stay independent?

Drake: Since I started, I’ve always been giving my music away for free…I’ve always kind of done it for the people, you know? So I just want them to still have some attachment to this project. I don’t want to lose my fans completely because they support me in a way that’s more than just listening to my music. They support me like we’re friends. They support me like they have emotions invested in it. So I want there to be a challenge to it, so when it drops, they’re looking at the numbers, they’re maybe even clicking it twice on iTunes just to prove a point. I want it to be fun, man. This shit is just not exciting if it’s so straight forward like, “I’m putting a record out, go to the store and buy it” and there’s so many people behind it, it has nothing to do with me. You know? It’s like, fuck it, let’s just have fun, let’s see if we can shake up the world, let’s see if we can fuck with the system. I just figure it’d make it more interesting on the album day.

Complex: There were rumors of a $4 million bonus…

Drake: [Laughs] Where is it? Tell me where it is, I’ll go pick it up right now. I got some money. I got a little money. I’ll be alright for a couple months.

Complex: Lately there have been a couple videos on World Star Hip-Hop showing you in your Degrassi days. It doesn’t seem like your past bothers you in any regard…

Drake: I think World Star Hip-Hop thinks it bothers me. There was a time in my life when I really lashed out against World Star Hip-Hop. And it wasn’t World Star Hip-Hop the site, ’cause I’m not gonna pretend like I don’t go there every day. It was just the way people look at World Star Hip-Hop as an outlet for them to talk about shit. There are artists that I feel could be doing a lot better for themselves that go on there and kill their own careers by just talking too much, and I think that they took that personally and now all they do is air Degrassi clips of me and potential things that could embarrass me. But with me, man…the great thing about me being me in this game is that I’ve been so honest up until this point, I really have nothing to hide, I don’t fear any clip, you know? It’s out there already, everyone knows that’s my story. At the end of the day, it’s part of me, it’s my stepping stone. I’m proud of every moment thus far.

____________________________
ima kill it on this beat.
fuckin love qtip.
he flow was slick.
kinda reminds me of the way i write.
i'm wordy.
kid cudi is too, but just different.
i feel like because i'm a girl.



_______________________________

THE MELTDOWN:

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on with Soulja Boy, but he had a total meltdown on twitter last night and some of his celebrity friends offered up words of encouragement. I’ve cut some of the irrelevant parts of his vent out but here’s the gist of what he posted before his team deleted it from his twitter early this morning:

Thinkin about taking all my money and leaving. F*ck having a Million followers f*ck putting out music.. why?

My music dream was THE SH*T 2 years ago before I was signed. It was everything I could ever imagine. Then I get signed. this is where my dream slowly died.. these c*****z wanna criticize a ni**a. Take REAL SH*T and turn it to trash. Water down my music and my appearance and make me look like something I’m not. THESE C******S DONT KNOW WHO THE F**K I REALLY AM!!! I go to the studio make new music for my fans to enjoy and party to. They take my sh*t hate on me. Make me look ignorant in the media. It’s all bullsh*t. Like WHY do I have to put up with this? because it’s my dream? that sh*t died when crank that went #1

I know what you thinking. But SOULJA BOY its the American dream your rich I would kill to be in your shoes. thats what you THINK its all BS! They say soulja boy u changed. soulja boy u hollywood I ain’t ask for this SH*T!!!!!! I want it to go back to how it was before i was signed I might be soundin crazy now.. I don’t really know about alot of things these days. But I just want EveryBODY to know this sh*t. Just KNOW that i’m only 18 man… And it’s only so much I can do. It’s only so much I can take. If your really fans and love and support me. You would hear me out and help ya boy get thru this sh*t.. I know everybody is gonna have opinions on the things that i’m saying right now.. but there it is. I’m not perfect.
Words of encouragement from his friends

Teyana Taylor: Really upset that my @souljaboytellem is down Everythings gonna be ok tho. He just has alot on his mind. I texted a nice long text! When. He reads it. He will really sit back, think and see that he can’t please the world..I feel what he’s going thru people feel like cause u a celeb u have no heart or feelings it’s unfair! It’s hard and u can’t blame him for feeling some kind of way. He will def be in my prayers. He don’t owe anybody anything.

Claudia Jordan: @souljaboytellem don’t you know NO ONE hates on losers…& say what u want-but you are YOUNG & you R winning. NO 1 hates on failures-know it

Sammie: Prayers go out to Soulja, tho evidently he’s facing a storm! God got it
I couldn’t help but have a little compassion for him and his situation. People tend to forget that he’s only 18 and he’s experienced more at that age than most people in their lifetime. No matter what people say about him, you can’t deny that he worked HARD to get where he is. They didn’t find him in a mall and say “You look like you want to be a star. Here’s a deal”. He actually WORKED and built his own fanbase on youtube, myspace and all those other social networks before labels even took interest. If everybody could do it, everybody would be doing it…

I say all this to say, people don’t really respect hard work anymore. If it was THAT easy, then everyone would be successful. Not to mention once you reach a certain level, people want to morph you into something that you are not. So I tip my hat to him but it may be time for him to take a break and regroup ;-/

Where are his parents?

SOURCE:NECOLEBITCHIE.COM
__________________________




crash & cool it out.
inspired by cool it out by bdotjay.
www.myspace.com/bdotjay
www.twitter.com/bdotjay

&other untitled raps.

couch, no cash, fast cash, raw smash.
live ouside in and right between the lines.
twisted up faded with that glow ray shine
days hours minutes seconds no space time.
wasted being wasted time is nothing crash, bye.
black out black hole sleep starve WHY?
fuck, write, list, make plans, get high.
my future, no future, your future, drinks bought.
i love to fuckin party, i'd like to take a shot.
1 beer 2 beers 3 beers 4.
your beer, my beer, more beer, more.
spins, circles, vision lost. never going back.
never doing that.
never with that crack.
but i'd sell it for a stack.
white girls tempting.
but them white girls don't go back.
this world is outta whack
bitches they talk smack.
but those bitches will get slapped.
at times it is an act.
yall know that.
but life is a game show play. First Act.
i'm going through the chutes
to climb up the ladder.
piss poor, shit rich which would i rather?
if i had to choose, i would take the latter.
bliss, wealth, luxury, balenciaga bags.
those camera flashin fags.
that no price tag.
that yummy smellin swag.
ain't it funny, how you love and hate me at the same time.
hoe you try to get things perfect
rearrangin words in mind.
never quittin till you hittin every beat and punchline.
he said cool it out before i have to pull it out.
i love my pockets heavy makin moves and havin clout.
i love money, money, money.
yeah that's what i'm about.
hitherebrithere i'm well taught.
never lost in the woods, always lost in my thoughts.
would you like to directions?
go left at the lights,
cross at the intersection.
at 4:20 when the northern lights appear,
that's where my mind is everyday of the year.
i am from boston, i am from mars.
reincarnated venus, i'm a goddess goin hard.
you are so lost, lost, lost in my genius
at times i get so lost , lost ,lost in your penis.
but i can be a bitch, yeah i can be the meanest.
you're tryna scratch the surface of this multilayered teen yes.
let me take sometime to explain my situatiion.
i'm left my home once again, for just alot of reasons.
which in description, i'll hardly ever go.
yes, sorry love, that's a personal no no.
thinkin bout the past sometimes fucks with my soul,
it startles my emotions, and starts to take control.
and you see that depression it starts to take a toll.


obsession, possession, secession, recession
your acting obsessed, you're getting possesive.
you're causing me stress, tom stop you're peeping.
just give it a rest, you're way beyond creeping.
it's me you molest, you bore me i'm sleeping.
my mind to complex, you begin to digress,
yeah i know yes i know that i'm the fuckin best.
i've been hiding, but i see now yall are in need.
this land is your land, not mine it's time to secede.
i get this yearning, and wanting, and lingering need.
rewrite, discuss, question, and plead.
to feed my ego, to water that seed.
but you can see in my eyes i'm not blinded by greed.
on myself, by myself, i am alone.
here by my lonesone, baring no clone.
words they weigh, weigh on your soul.
you go stop press rewind, i seeped into you whole.
listen to me carefully, concisely, and slow.
i change you like hovah, i'm takin control.
people talk about me what's new i'm me.
it's natural to pretend, seem like you're displeased.
it's about understanding,
and if you don't understand.
there is nothing of you i want, wish, or command.
i am royalty, i run shit, command.
you know guillotine style, no trial, no stand.
i do it my way like bk, i say fuck the man.
i'm neo, the one, no other like me, no other like none.
i promise when we meet i won't burn you like blunts,
toss you out like a roach, when i'm all toasted and done.
i'm passive, so passive, with so much aggression
and some time i lose it, not at your discretion.
i am not lost, yes, i have direction.
and i must point out, i can see your erection.
calm down, don't stress.
relieve you're tension.
i'm so off, of this demension,
no need to beg forgiveness or redemption.
and don't roll them blunts too tight kids.
take it easy, cool it out, and roll em right kids.
i love it when they burn slow.
hit you in the face,
like you tried to rape a bitch
and she kicked you in the face.
then maced you just in case.
not you gotta deal with the policee.
and yes i roll, and roll.
and trip, and fall.
i possess the answers.
i'm the problem solved.
yes the solution.
the new revolution.
my lungs are polluted
this is an intrusion,
and round me you revolve.
sip to my fusion.
smoke everyday you will no dissolve.
speak my words, and you will evolve.
i'm and over this influence, high above all.
diggin for the millions, snuck under the fence.
tune in and you'll see i'll end you're suspense.
take kindly to me, please, don't take offense.
my words, are like candy, like pez i dispense.
not to be confused baby.
i don't want you're money baby.
you see it want it all.
not yours, all mine baby.
i'm no distress, no need to fuckin save me.
you want to be savior, want me to be your lady.
so you can fuckin chase me, so you can fuckin lay me.


_________________


don't aggravate your mind about my mess,
i am so pure when you're givin me you're best
i will save you you'll be atoned, you'll be blessed.
i have seep through you're mind hi how are you i'm in?
it's dark in here who knew.
you're thinkin
how'd you get in here
i'm okay where have you been?
your whole life
well my whole life i've been.
in the burbs,
in the murday
that's what i was stuck in/
been caged and enraged.
but i'm free to be made.
so let live let die.
i won't dwell on the past,
cuz if i dwell, my eyes they swell.
and i just cry.
but if you have question to ask,
i'll always reply.
cuz you are why i'm here, you're how i get by.
believe i won't lie, cuz we are all sinners.
yes we all defy.
so lets rage, forget then,
forget all that i've done.
what i did.
who hurt i,
who i hurt,
when it begun.
who hurt who.
what? why? when? how? huh, which one?
no matter.
what matters.
is now, not then.
so hi i am brittany.
walk with me, breath in.
just listen, no listen, no listen.
i live in the moment.
on thie papaer to day.
live in that blunt, i'm nugget.
that's me.
and wonderwoman say it right.
we're the justice league
we don't run from a firhgt.
i get it like heath ledger did
in the dark night.
my flow scary amazing,
i gave you a fright.
this is my word i am the key.
i am the music, and you makes me complete.
i'm the dinner ready, so just come down and eat.
it's you that i love, it's you're love that i want.
that i crave, and i rant, and i rave and dream of.
craving they tease, they tease and they taunt.
but i put in that work, i get what i want.
i want you inside of me, all day and all night.
the day that i ran, is the day i gained sight.
no mirror, no tear, no woman no man.
no walk in the park, no book, no band.
just that one single moment.
that holy shit i want it all, fuck moment.
i'm bout to have alot of haters fuck type moment.
then that i don't give a fuck type moment.
fight, work, write hard.
be hard moment.
because i love to sip, smoke, roll, trip,
think hard moment.
i live hard, i feel so soft,
i'm ackward, but i own it.
that drive is my hunger
and it pangs it's alive.
the source from which it comes,
it pangs and it thrives.
and you express so much joy,
cuz you werer deprived
of greatness,
the waitlist is killah.
it' you hung around.
cuz my mixtape's gonna thrill yeah.
polue up of the freeway
it is sad,
and back up. it is trafficked and gray.
there is smoke so much smoke, smell's like death it at back.
a damn that's fucked up make you think kind of day.
you don't want to watch but you do, kind of way.
you hear it, you read it, and see it and say.
well that, you see that is just awful honey, it's sad.
how did it happen? it's brutal it's mad.
so no more complaints, just sip on your drink.
and forgive and forget cuz it's gone in a blink.
and that's what i know,
and that's what i think.
_________________________



let's be real kids i'm a chill girl.
i live doritos, prb, thinkin bout wayne's world.
glamour, blunts, piercing, skinny jeans, ginger ale.
i love chillin layin back.
i love post rock.
i love maserati, and i love to shit talk.
that why you love me that's why we can rock.
they i'm am appealin, why i'm the talk.
this is my life, my music's my livin.
it's really no joke, it's me that i'm givin.
they will discover i possess all that glow.
when you meet me, it's like damn, this girls crazy like whoa.
i am the trees and i am the sea.
that's why it's so easy to get lost in me.
get lost in my world, get lost in me so deep.
always stay affordable, but my talk it ain't cheap.
i answered your prayers, gett off of your knees.
many just taunted. but i'm not a tease.
i am the truth, i flaunt it, i please.
i'm purified you can come and drink me.
i am survival, the fittest tecnique.
this is the start, just wait for the peak.
yes i can say it, comes so freely.
it is the trust, it comes so easy.
my words cool you down, i'm so breezy.
in person, i'm social, so my calender busy.
you will see me like a cactus in the tropics.
i'm on twitter, i'll be that trending topic.
i am rare, strange, eccentric human being.
your word is your swag, are they worth the fuckin fee?
words they never die, never go extinct.
but i told you it's that hunger, that's the thing that calls me.
smellin yummy, smellin lovely.
so i write, i mean i bleed.
then i think i just think who am i?
i'm just me.
why would you really give a shit about me?
then i shake my fuckin head, cuz i know i can fuckin lead.
i tihknof all the moment i havent even spoke of?
the things that i spit and joke of?
then i think of the green, and i sit and toke up.
i am too fucked up,
things never work out.
there are so many hurdles,
there is so much doubt.
but i can't put out that fire.
it just won't extinguish.
i am fuckin cool kid,
kinda like chuck english.
so just put me in your backpack,
and carry me with you.
bump to it later.
relate to my issues.
i am a mayor.
so this is official.
let it carry, and sit.
let the music just hit you.
glow with the flow,
float into the light,
let the words touch your soul.
let them into your sight.
because these moments are rare.
your heart beats you are life.
your sperm was the strongest.
you put up the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment